Airline Transport Pilot License ATPL – Commercial Flight Training – FlyBy Aviation Academy

Are you looking to learn more about the Airline Transport Pilot License (ATPL) and how to best get this pilot certification?

Then, you have come to the right place.  The ATPL will allow you to pursue a career in commercial aviation, and we will describe in this article you how you can get an EASA ATPL in as little as 14 months for as little as 79,400 euros, all expenses included.

But there are some pitfalls you need to be aware of if you are planning on pursuing a career as a pilot.  To help you avoid those potential mistakes in your pilot career, we have put together a FREE report, “Avoid These 21 Flight Training Mistakes” to help guide you towards a more profitable career in flying.

Simply click on the banner below to get that report.

pilot training mistakes

The journey to getting the ATPL to pursue an airline career pilot program is  varied from written tests to actual flight planning. The motivated pilot has an insightful adventure on the path from an introductory flight, to choosing one of many different grounds schools for a flight rating course, becoming private pilots, all the way to an airline transport pilot certification. The ATPL makes it possible for you to fly professionally pursuing an airline career beyond a private pilots license. Such an airline career pilot program gives you a multi-engine certification that can allow you to fly for large commercial carriers or in private aircrafts used by the rich and famous and many other aircraft categories.

The journey of becoming a professional pilot evolves and has changed a lot in the last decade.  While some want to be a sport pilot and others want to be a remote pilot managing expensive drones, most will want to fly an airplane category that allows them to fly one of many different commercial jets.  At FlyBy Aviation Academy we maintain a timely implementation of all regulations and testing guides to ensure you have the latest aircraft training and ATP CTP certification.  Our training center is world class and you can even get a flight instructor certification through our cadet program.

Guide to getting your pilot license (ATPL)

A student pilot needs specific training and certification to be a pilot with one of the major airlines beyond the private pilots license. The difference between an airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) and a commercial pilot licence (CPL) is that the commercial pilot licence is only one component of a complete ATPL certification program. The commercial pilot licence is first qualification that allows you to be compensated for flying. However, if you want to ever be able to serve as captain at a major commercial carrier you will need to get the complete ATPL certification and everything that entails.

A series of hours of ground classroom and aerial flying instruction will be required, in addition to exams to evaluate how well future pilots have absorbed the material. Other qualification requirements for the ATP CTP include the following:

• A good moral character
• Medical certificate
• A minimum age depending on the certifying region (21 years for an EASA ATPL)
• A commercial pilot licence and instrument rating
• Minimum number of flight hours experience requirements depending on certification
• Passing an ATP practical test at a qualified testing center

Flight Hours Required

The number of flight hours required for a commercial pilot certificate differs markedly between jurisdictions of different republics. In the US that would entail meeting their airman certification standards (ACS). For an European EASA ATPL, a student only requires 150 flight hours with 50 hours as pilot in command. On the other hand an FAA pilot certifications requires of pilots a full 1500 hours of flight time with 500 hours of cross-country, 100 night time hours of flight, 50 hours of class rating, 75 hours of instrument time, 250 hours as a pilot in command as well as an ATP Practical FAA test written exam.

An FAA certificate requires a minimum number of hours that is different for military pilots or collegiate pilot training. Such student pilot will qualify for a restricted ATP certification program and flying as an airline or charter captain. The military pilot with 750 hours allows for the restricted ATP. The four-years aviation college graduate with 1000 hours will or two-year college graduate with 1250 hours of flight time also qualify for the restricted ATPL if they pass the FAA test.

Needless to say, from a long term career perspective, it makes sense to get the EASA ATPL as international students allowing students to accumulate experience requirements needed for FAA certification while being paid to fly with a commercial air carrier in Europe. When you successfully complete the experience requirement, you can then get certificate validation for your EASA certification by the FAA to fly in the US. For European issued licenses, this certificate validation is generally not difficult.

What is the difference between a restricted and standard ATP?

Restricted ATP is a consequence of specific aviation degree courses in the context of a US FAA flight certification. The restricted ATP certificate is more of a starter paper to qualify you as a co-pilot, and has less stringent course qualification standards:
• A minimum of 21 years of age
• Ability to write, speak or read the ATP test
• A third-class medical certificate
• A commercial pilot certificate with an IR
• Complete CTP for the multi-engine rating certificate
• Passing the practical ATP knowledge modules and airline transport pilot FAA knowledge test in the US


Applying for the ATPL Training

You should enroll in an ATP certification program at one of many ground schools if you aspire to earn a commercial pilot license with the ability to one day serve as a flight captain. An integrated training program can take you to zero experience to airline pilot in as little time as possible. With FlyBy’s program it is possible to get your EASA certification in only 14 months.

Courses at most flight schools require you to fully grasp flying individual planes when you apply for the ATP program. FlyBy is different because we do not expect you to have any previous knowledge of planes to start the integrated ATP course. Each certified flight instructor refines your maneuverability skills from the lowest licensing standards to the ATP. We focus on polishing your instrument flying ability so you can master the following scopes for the program:

• Aerodynamics and aeronautical knowledge
• Automated flying
• Adverse weather conditions for flying and instrument flight
• Air carrier operations and aeronautical experience
• Professionalism
• Development and leadership
• Plane performance

We will teach you the nitty grittiness of airplane weights, turbine handle, and altitude levels for all adverse weather conditions and achieving your instrument rating. The integrated course bridges the gap between your high school diploma and the highest airline captain, with intense academic knowledge testing and hands-on training. Our flight training programme includes flights in a variety of aircraft in addition to flight simulator training for an environment most similar to being in the cockpick of a large airplane.

Passing Integrated ATPL Course Tests and Flight Training

The student pilot must find the most efficient way to pass each written exam in the knowledge testing phase of the training and meet the flight log requirements to achieve your goal of becoming a pilot. At FlyBy we excel in intensive preparation in ground instruction to get our students prepared for their check ride, while also getting in the air as quickly as possible.  Each certified flight instructor will help students get the aeronautical knowledge and aeronautical experience needed to get the airline transport pilot ATP certification and pass a practical test of their skills.

It is important for pilots to be prepared for all situations they might encounter in the air. Focus on advanced maneuvers like stalls and steep turns to demonstrate a firmer grasp for different pilot careers. You will learn to pilot an instrument flight so that you are prepared for poor visibility situatons. Be ready to respond to abnormal and emergency simulations such as a failed engine land to highlight your excellence as a future airline pilot.

FlyBy has also invested in the latest flight training devices including our flight simulators that will be used in our training center to learn how to pilot a large jumbo jet.  A flight simlulator is the only practical way of getting multiengine ratings on large craft since these aircraft consume a lot of fuel and are not suitable for an introductory flight or training flight.

FlyBy is a certfied testing center for Austro control, so you will not need to leave our facilities when it is tome to get your airline transport pilot certification and commercial pilots license.

Once you successfully complete your transport plot ATP certificate certification and have been hired by an airliner, you will need to get type ratings for whatever craft you will be flying. Type ratings are basically qualifications to fly specific types of jets an aircraft categories. If you want to teach others to fly you can also get your instructor certificate. Getting a flight instructor certification is best done through an integrated cadet program.

If you are interested in getting your ATPL certification, we can help get you there as quickly as possible. At FlyBy we offer an affordable 14-month program with no hidden fees that can help you realize your dream of becoming a pilot. International students are welcome as we have students from over 55 countries at our school looking to receive their transport pilot ATP. Follow our process of applying for our airline transport pilot ATP certification, and let us take you to the next step of your long and successful flight career.

Contact us today to learn more.

Contact Us